Thursday, February 3, 2011

Confession

I confess...I'm addicted to YA supernatural romance books. And maybe this shouldn't be a confession because anyone who knows me already knows this. But I have to have some explanation for the way I've spent the last week--spending every free minute reading a story about two princes from India who over 300 years ago were turned into Tigers. A white one and a black one to be exact. Laughable I know. Plus, the books themselves were poorly written and poorly edited and I found SO many character flaws in the heroine. But, I still loved them.

So why do I love these kinds of books besides the obvious answer of romance? I've thought about that a lot the last few days and the only answer I have is that it is escapism. I have a great life--great husband--great kids--great everything (most of the time). Still, when I pick up a story I like I don't have to think about the Valentine's party I should be planning, the Scout shirt I should be sewing numbers onto, or the fact that I should be calling someone to help with the nursery on Sunday. I don't have to be me. Before I was married I created my own stories of adventure and falling in love--and I was always the main character. I still daydream but obviously not in the same way. So these books do it for me because I can't be the heroine anymore falling in love with an English man.

For those few of you who will tell me I should start writing my own story--I'm getting close. I have the main characters, just need to flesh out a plot that has something more to it than hand holding, eye gazing, long kisses, and obstacles to true love.

For the even fewer of you who will want to read my latest obsession they are 'Tiger's Curse' and 'Tiger's Quest'. The first was just re-released last month and the second will be re-released in June. The author had self-published and has now been picked up by a publisher which explains some of the poor editing. The third will be out in November.

Currently I'm not reading anything because I'm still hung up on the Tiger books. If anyone has a good suggestion of an escapism book then let me know. And I don't only read YA romance books so any suggestions would be appreciated. Now I'm off to the real world so I better think of something for dinner!

4 comments:

BensonFam said...

I had to laugh at your description of the books - you make them sound so enticing Lynne! :) I don't have any current suggestions for you(my last few library finds have been kind of disappointing), but on the subject of books - I just noticed the rated book lists you've kept on your blog and I am so excited!!

LeShel said...

Can't wait to pick up your first book.

Roger and Deborah Garner said...

I just finished another book by Shannon Hale. It is called "Austenland" You could have done it better Lynne but her idea was good. It ended better then it started though so maybe worth the read. Here's a little of the jacket, "Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her life. Nor real man can compare."

Stephanie said...

I am right there with you. I LOVE being able to escape for a little while :)