Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mission Accomplished

I finished Mockingjay yesterday and yes, I did make it all the way through without reading the end. It was physically hard at times not to read the end and I actually don't know if I enjoyed it better. However, I spent yesterday reading because I knew I would never make it if I didn't read it fast. So did I like it?

***Spoilers*** (Don't read this if you don't want hints about the ending.)
I'm still processing this book. Yes, I loved it. It was a page turner but there were some things at the end that I said, 'Really? After all she does to protect some people they still die?' Although I was very confused at times who she should end up with there was always one boy I wanted her to end up with. So I was happy about the final choice but I felt a little sad about how Katniss got to that decision. I want to say it was contrived but it does fit into the plot and there are hints throughout the book about what will happen. I guess part of my problem was that I had no idea how Collins was going to end it and since I didn't know the ending I haven't had time to prepare for what happens.

Mockingjay is different from the other books. Katniss spends a lot of time as a mentally unstable person and not the strong young girl we saw in the first two books. That was frustrating at times but I think it's true. After going through so much you would break down at times and then be strong when you had to be. Anyway, I'm happy I've read it now and I know how it ends. Bryan said that if I read it without reading the end he would buy me something nice. There is another book coming out next week that I want and so I will go buy it as a reward for my patience.

Additional note: I've had a few days to think about it, and I still liked it because I like the characters, but I do feel there were some flaws in this book. I like the VERY ending because I wanted her with Peeta but how she gets there just didn't feel right to me. Oh well, I didn't write it and so I'll have to live with how the author saw things happening.

4 comments:

Roger and Deborah Garner said...

Sooo, did you like it? Steph told me I could borrow hers after she is done.

LeShel said...

Clayton is dying to get his hands on a copy! Wish we could snatch yours for a few hours.

Gabriela said...

I am so proud of you! I have to admitt, I was having a hard time not looking at times and I'm not ususally tempted.

It's fun to read other people's opinions of this book.

Roger and Deborah Garner said...

I read it and I didn't like it. Stephanie said I wouldn't and she guessed right. It was too violent, and depressing.