Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Thank Goodness for Small Miracles

I don't have a lot of jewelry but I do have some and most of what I have is sentimental to me in one way or the other. Several years ago Bryan surprised me with blue diamond earrings for Mother's Day. They are special for several reasons. One, they are blue diamonds and blue is my favorite color. Two, I love the earrings themselves. Three, the day after Bryan gave them to me he was let go from his job. So they remind me that things can be going along just fine but that you better be prepared because you never know when a trial will come. (I don't know why they remind me of that but they do.) Four, they remind me of the sacrifices Bryan makes to surprise me sometimes. And five, they are the most expensive pair or earrings that I own!
Saturday night we decided to go get something to eat. I get ready, open my jewelry box, and decide to wear my blue diamonds. Instead of putting them on in my room I grab them and head out the door. I have Ty, in his car seat and manage to put one in. But it's too hard so I lay the other earring on top of the car thinking, 'I'll grab it as soon as I get Ty in the car.' Did you guess? I forget the earring and we go to eat. Later that night I realize I only have one earring in. I'm heartbroken. I look in the garage hoping it is on the floor but don't see it. How could I have been so careless and forgetful? So Sunday goes by and every once in a while I go out and look in the garage, on the driveway, and in the street. I don't see it anywhere. I pray. I know it's not an important thing to Heavenly Father but I explain how much they mean to me and that I'd really like to find it if possible. Monday morning I'm leaving with Ty. As I walk out to the garage I think, 'Someday I'm just going to look down and there it will be." As I'm walking by I glance down under the Prelude and see something. I back up. There it is, and it's perfectly fine. Now, I don't know why I didn't see it before, it wasn't too far under the car. But I'm grateful that I found it. Even though it's a silly earring it means a lot to me. My new rule is, earrings go in the ears BEFORE I leave the bedroom.

5 comments:

Adrianne said...

I love stories like that. Glad to hear you found the earing. You have a good husband.

LeShel said...

I am SO glad you found your earring. I love what it means to you and all the reminders and purposes it serves.

Penradicals said...

I love your story. I don't know that I've told you and Steph before that I developed simple faith and a daily habit of personal prayer by watching your examples. Being that you were 5 years older than me you may not have realized what a great example you both were. I remember on numerous sleepovers that when you remembered that you forgot to say your evening prayer you would get out of bed to kneel down. What was I to do but kneel down as well and offer up a prayer. You and Steph made a big impact on a young
girl. Love ya

jjjensenfamily said...

I've prayed to find my wedding ring a couple of times, and have found it both times. Those are beautiful earrings--I'm glad you found them.
And I love those light saber pictures. We have Squatty Guys, too. I don't even bother putting them away in their basket because one boy is taking them out the next minute to play with them.

Cristy said...

Love reading your blog . . . SO glad you found your earring!! I lost one of my diamond earrings once too, and it appeared miraculously. Such a great feeling. Miss ya!