Friday, February 17, 2012

Indulgence

Last year for my birthday Bryan got me a Kindle. I was a little nervous about it because I worried about using it enough to make it worth the investment. I knew I didn't have the budget to buy all the books I would want to read, and at the time you couldn't get books from the library. I have found, to my great reading pleasure, that although I still use a lot of 'real books', I also use my Kindle a great deal. Not only can you now get books from the library on it (I don't always because sometimes I get the book faster than the e-book) but I have scriptures and LOTS of my favorites classics on it as well. However, I do search Amazon for cheap books sometimes, and they are there. Sometimes they're even free. What I've found is that on the whole they are kind of silly books that aren't very well written. Many I've bought or gotten for free are YA novels and many are only available in e-book format. (Hmmm, I wonder why?) I have decided that these types of books are kind of addictive. To most people I'm sure they wouldn't be but I blame my obsessive personality, the same one that as a teenager watched soap operas. Somehow this week I've managed to read four of them. So...if you see a bunch of silly names on the list of books I've read this year and they only have two stars...that is why. They are often SOOOO poorly written, so simple, so over the top, and yet, when I start one I can't put it down. For me it's like books on crack. I don't necessarily recommend them to anyone and yet, with some chocolate and a blanket what an indulgence they are!

(As a side note--I wouldn't really want anyone to look at my book list and just read from it without talking to me. Depending on the person I would or wouldn't recommend certain books for them.)

3 comments:

Roger and Deborah Garner said...

I think I'm addicted! Dad thinks I'm weird because I read so much. After I was put in to Relief Society I couldn't read because there was no time. It felt like I was having withdrawls! Anyway, I got my fix yesterday and today and I read, "I am Number 4" and "Conspiricy of Kings". I'll be okay for a couple of days now. :)

LeShel said...

We bought Clayton a Kindle for his birthday. That nerd boy is in HEAVEN. Love it.

The Gatherers said...

I got my Dad's kindle a couple of weeks ago cause he got a kindle fire for Christmas, and I'm loving it! I haven't searched amazon yet, but I'll have to chack it out.
Books are addicting!