Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mistborn

I love reading. My perfect day is reading a book, under a blanket, eating chocolate, drinking root beer, and listening to my favorite songs on my Ipod. I don't know if I've ever had an afternoon like that but still, I can always hope. Looking back at my teens and 20's I realize that I was a book snob. I accepted that there were a few books written in the last 100 years that were good like 'To Kill A Mockingbird', or 'Lord of the Flies'. They were classics so they were deemed worthy. I thought the really good stuff had to be Jane Austen, Shakespeare, E.M. Forester, the Bronte sisters. In other words anything that the BBC or Masterpiece Theater could make into a period drama. Now I did like Harry Potter years ago so that doesn't quite fit in but like I said, I made certain allowances.

I didn't do this on purpose or consider myself a literary snob. I just happened to spend my time reading and researching authors who have long been dead. Then I married Bryan. I read 'Lord of the Rings' on his encouragement. I read 'Ender's Game' and in return Bryan read 'Pride and Prejudice.' (I liked 'Ender's Game' much better than Bryan like 'P &P'. He thought it unrealistic that Darcy would change so much.) What I learned is that there is great literature all around me and by not reading it I was depriving myself. Then we moved to Utah and I became part of a book club. Most of my favorite books from the last few years have come from their suggestions. I still love all those books and authors that I used to read that are over 100 years old, (I've even found a few more to love) but I've expanded my horizons and I like what I've found.

Finally, I get to the reason for this long, long post! If you love getting lost in another world then read the Mistborn series. I got so emotionally involved in the characters of these books. I cringed through their struggles and wars. I yearned for their hopes and dreams to come true. The series made me laugh, cry and sob uncontrollably, and ponder my own faith and beliefs. Brandon Sanderson is a true storyteller and if I could ever motivate myself this is the kind of book I would like to write. Fantasy but with a realism that stays true to who we are as humans and individuals.

One favorite quote from the book: "Belief isn't simply a thing for fair times and bright days, I think. What is belief--what is faith--if you don't continue in it after failure."

5 comments:

Roger and Deborah Garner said...

Wow, Lynne. I love reading everything you write. You could be a writer. I know, every time I turn around someone is telling me that they are writing a book. I have even dabbled in it. When someone writes and you want to read more, they are a writer. You may not admit to it but you are a writer. Oh, someone else I love to read is Jackie. She is more light and satirical but I like reading what she writes.

Amber said...

I was actually going to call you the other day and ask if you had read any good books lately. I need a good read! Thanks!

Gabriela said...

Thanks for the recommendation-I'm very interested-I love it when books provoke those kinds of deep emotions. Are you on Goodreads? We should be friends. If your not on Goodreads, you should be.

(Deborah-if you're talking about me-thanks! If you're talking about another Jackie, please pretend I didn't write this. Thanks!) :)

Adrianne said...

Great quote. I will have to make the series the next thing I pick up at the library. Thanks for the recommendation. You and Brian both have great taste and most people consider me a VERY picky reader.

BensonFam said...

I'm so glad I found your blog Lynne! And thanks for the book suggestion - I'm in constant need of new books. P.s. finally worked my way up the list at the library and read Hunger Games this week - LOVED it - thanks for the suggestion!
Emily