Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars

Obviously it has been a long time since I have posted anything. In between girls camp, rugby, an extended Idaho trip, swimming lessons, and lots of little things in between the summer has quickly gone by. Eventually I will catch up on all of those fun things we did--but for now I have a book to talk about. The Fault in Our Stars was a book recommended to me by a friend. It does have some swearing and humor about sexual situations. It was a nice change of pace for me since I have devoted much of my year to light and fun books.

I started yesterday and this morning instead of mopping my floors I sat, cried, finished the book, and cried some more. It is sad. It is about a 16 year old girl who is terminally ill with cancer. So yes, it is sad. And yes, if you don't cry you are possibly heartless. However, it is a good cry and strangely enough not depressing. It is not religious, nor is it really anti-religious. Hazel, the 16 year old terminally ill girl, does not have much belief in God herself. It's one of the reasons I liked it so much. Her view of the world and death and the afterlife is different from mine, and it's nice to read about other opinions. The boy that comes into her life is Gus. He is perfect for Hazel, even when she can't see it. I loved reading it and laughed out loud more than once. It is funny and filled with humor even though it is about death and what our lives mean. Are we remembered when we die? Do we leave an impact when we're no longer here? The ending is thought provoking because life is indeed full of pain. At least at times. And none of us can really get away from death and loss. However, that's no reason not to live and enjoy life as much as we can. Hazel and Gus chose wisely for themselves.

No comments: