Friday, February 24, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie Recipe

This is a long recipe. I looked at what I had written down and it wasn't as detailed--I think is better. My mom wrote this out a few years ago when she made recipe books for all the women in my family for Christmas. I've added a few of my thoughts in as well. If you have questions let me know.

Pie Crust for two pies (I have a great recipe for fail proof pie crust if you need it.)
2 or 3 chicken breasts with bones and skin (I usually use one per pie)
Parsley
Six to eight potatoes
Six to eight carrots
1/4 to 1/2 bag frozen peas (This is something I add that my mom doesn't have in her recipe. I like them for color and additional flavor.)

The first thing you do in making pot pies is the crust. Refrigerate the doe. I usually do this the day before.

Put the chicken breasts, with skin side down, in about a 3 quart stock pot. It is very important to get breasts with the skin and bone or a whole chicken. This will create your broth or stock. Cover with 1 1/2 quarts of water, add bouillon, and some parsley. Boil one hour or until chicken is tender.

When chicken is done, take it out of the chicken stock and put it onto a plate to cool. Add peeled and cut potatoes and carrots to the stock bringing it to a boil. Boil until tender (about 15 to 20 minutes)

While the potatoes and carrots are boiling, roll lout two bottom pie crusts and set them aside without crimping the edges.

When chicken is cool enough to handle take the skin off and debone. Cube the chicken and set aside. Make sure you cube and don't shred or you won't have chunks of chicken in the pie.

The potatoes and carrots should be done about now and you can add a thickening to it. I like using flour and water. I use the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing shaker bottle. You can find them in most grocery stores. I use about 1 1/2 cups of water and a cup of flour. Shake until smooth without and lumps. Add this slowly to your boiling veggies, stirring all the while. Add just enough to thicken it to your liking. I never use the entire bottle. Take it off the burner. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add the chicken back to the pot. It will fall apart if you add it earlier.

Make the top to one pie making sure to cut vents into the crust and set aside. Scoop the chicken/veggie mix into the bottom pie crust. Put the top crust on the pie and crimp the edges. Do the same for the second pie. Bake at 425 in a preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sometimes I have to cover the edges of the crust so they don't burn while the top continues to brown.

No comments: